Saturday, November 10, 2012

Maybe I am Supermom debut

For years I have been making creative birthday cakes for my boys. )I'll post the all later.) But let's start with this year. As my oldest was turning 5 in October I was faced with the repeated question "what kind of cake should I make this year?" After past years, I can't just go back to making a box cake in a 13x9 pan and putting icing and candles on it.
I should start with the statement that I do NOT bake from scratch. I am a proud user of making a cake out of a box and sculpting it into something cool.
So W is into superheroes. I went online to look up ideas for superhero cakes and they were INSANE! Multiple layers, fondant, sculpted Hulk hands. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed. I was just about ready to make him a sheet cake and stick action figures on it.
Then I remembered Spider-Man's face is just an oval. So I borrowed a friend's oval shaped pan (no, I don't own one) and came up with this.


I did get "fancy" and make the inside of the cake a rainbow cake. The key to the shiny icing is using a crumb coat first and refrigerating it for an hour (Fondant freaks me out!)
The key to the RED icing , not pink (I've made that mistake before) is GEL food coloring. The drops from the grocery just don't cut it.
Then I used cookie icing for the lines and eyes since they harden.

I can tell you it was a big hit. My son asked me "Mom, how many weeks did this tale you?" I told him it took no time because I'm Supermom!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment